References and Data Sources
A great deal of information and data was collected, compiled, and analyzed to initiate this dashboard. Below is a list of the resources GCC members used, organized by goal. Please share additional resources you think may be helpful in continuing to build our knowledge about coastal Georgia assets.
WORKING LANDSCAPES AND WATERFRONTS
- GA Forestry Commission:
- Economic Impacts – http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/utilization/economic-impacts/
- Forestry Fact Sheet – http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/utilization/economic-impacts/2018%20Forest%20Economic%20Factsheet.pdf
- County Tax Assessors, Timber Values –
- Bryan County – http://qpublic.net/ga/bryan/
- Camden County – http://qpublic.net/ga/camden/
- Chatham County – https://www.chathamtax.org/PT/Search/Disclaimer.aspx?FromUrl=../search/commonsearch.aspx?mode=realprop
- Glynn County – https://glynncounty.org/1097/Property-Map-Records-Search
- Liberty County – https://www.libertycountyga.com/department/index.php?structureid=40
- McIntosh County – http://www.qpublic.net/ga/mcintosh/
- Georgia Grown – https://www.georgiagrown.com/find/forestry-products
- GA DNR Coastal Resources Division
- GA CRD Commercial Seafood Landings – https://coastalgadnr.org/CommercialFishing
- GA CRD Shrimp Trawler Licenses – https://coastalgadnr.org/sites/default/files/crd/pdf/marfish/trawlers.pdf
- GA CRD Approved Recreational Harvest Areas – https://coastalgadnr.org/approvedrecharvestareas
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service, Fisheries Economics – https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/noaa-report.pdf
- NOAA Office for Coastal Management, Shoreline Mileage of the United States – https://coast.noaa.gov/data/docs/states/shorelines.pdf
- NOAA Fisheries, Socioeconomics – https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/socioeconomics
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Certified Shellfish Shippers – https://www.fda.gov/food/federalstate-food-programs/interstate-certified-shellfish-shippers-list
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration Program, Historic Fishing License Data – https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/LicenseInfo/Fishing.htm
- U.S. Dept. of Agriculture,
- USDA State Agriculture Overview – https://www.nass.usda.gov/Quick_Stats/Ag_Overview/stateOverview.php?state=GEORGIA
- USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service –
- Georgia Field Office Data – https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Georgia/Publications/County_Estimates/index.php
- Quick Stats – https://www.nass.usda.gov/Quick_Stats/Ag_Overview/stateOverview.php?state=GEORGIA
- Certified Organic Survey – https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Todays_Reports/reports/census17.pdf
- USDA Income and Wealth Statistics – https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/farm-income-and-wealth-statistics/charts-and-maps-about-your-state/
- Organic Trade Association, Georgia Fact Sheet https://ota.com/sites/default/files/indexed_files/Georgia.pdf
- U.S. ParkServe dataset (2019) here: https://www.tpl.org/parkserve/downloads
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Gap Analysis Project (GAP), 2018, Protected Areas Database of the United States (PAD-US): U.S. Geological Survey data release –https://doi.org/10.5066/P955KPLE
- USA National Conservation Easement Database (2018), accessed through Esri, but available online – https://www.conservationeasement.us/
- USA Counties, accessed through Esri, but available online – https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/USA_Counties/FeatureServer
- GA DNR, Wildlife Resources Division. Water Access Points – https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=322c16bb0fbe4314aa8493f5b15afc5c
- Satilla River Water Trail –satillariverwatertrail.com
- Altamaha Canoe Trail – https://www.altamahariver.org/
- Additional sites were added to the water access map from personal knowledge of GCC team members.
Flooding and Sea Level Rise
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- FEMA Community Rating System – https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1559830308363-e690ed2aea6606fb81826904e4a7bd7f/app-f_crs_508_apr2019.pdf
- FEMA Hurricane Matthew Recovery Snapshot (NR 004) – https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/04/13/hurricane-matthew-georgia-six-month-recovery-snapshot
- FEMA Hurricane Irma One Year Later (RIV-2018-NR-050) – https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2018/08/29/hurricane-irma-georgia-one-year-193-million-later
- FEMA Hurricane Michael Recap (R4 DR-4400-GA NR 056) – https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2018/12/28/hurricane-michael-recap-georgia-recovery-under-way-54-million-assistance
- Email response to open records requests sent from One Hundred Miles to FEMA.
- National Weather Service – https://www.weather.gov/ilm/Matthew
- Business Insider – https://www.businessinsider.com/hurricane-irma-track-path-map-when-where-storm-arrive-category-forecast-2017-9
INDUSTRIAL WATER WITHDRAWALS
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS):
- USGS Water Use in Georgia – https://www.usgs.gov/centers/sa-water/science/water-use-georgia?qt-science_center_objects=0#qt-science_center_objects
- USGS Groundwater Conditions of Georgia – https://www2.usgs.gov/water/southatlantic/ga/infodata/gwconditions/index.php
- USGS Water Use by County 2005 – https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5002/pdf/2005_water_use_book_508_V4.pdf
- USGS Water Use by County 2015 – https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2019/1086/ofr20191086.pdf
- Metropolitan Planning Commission, Red Zone Task Force – https://www.thempc.org/docs/lit/compplan/2018/redzone.pdf
- One Hundred Miles:
- Industrial Water Use Study –http://www.onehundredmiles.org/waterstudy/
- GA DNR, Environmental Protection Division (GA EPD):
- Water withdrawal permits, usage reports, and conservation plans on file and available for public review at the Watershed Protection Branch office in Atlanta, GA.
- Coastal Georgia Water & Wastewater Permitting Plan for Managing Saltwater Intrusion – https://www1.gadnr.org/cws/Documents/saltwater_management_plan_june2006.pdf
- GA DNR, Environmental Protection Division:
- GA EPD online database of Enforcement Orders – https://enfo.gaepd.org/Orders/Search?facilityFilter=&county=&orderNumber=&legalAuth=&status=all&FromDate=1%2F1%2F1998&TillDate=12%2F31%2F2018&submit=Search#search-results
- FY 2000-FY 2018 Expenses, sent via email in response to request for GA EPD annual budget information. Response received Sept. 11, 2019. Data adjusted to reflect inflation.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Report on the Environment, Coastal Waters – https://www.epa.gov/report-environment/coastal-waters
- GA Department of Natural Resources, Coastal Resources Division Report Card – https://coastalgadnr.org/ReportCard
- Coastal Georgia Indicators Coalition, Quality of Life Indicators – https://www.coastalgaindicators.org/indicators/index/dashboard?alias=QualityofLife
- NatureServe – https://www.natureserve.org/biodiversity-science/conservation-topics/biodiversity-indicators
Protect, connect, and enhance environments for coastal plants and animals to adapt to changes in sea level and benefit the community.
Maintain thriving, working landscapes and waterfronts that support the sustainable production of food and fiber for our communities.
Cultivate opportunities to enjoy and recreate in the special places and historic communities along Georgia’s coast.
Promote economic development that respects natural environments and preserves the character of our coastal communities.